The last four years have been a whirlwind of experience. From starting out to this very day, to moving locations and to this very moment, each day has presented itself to be a valuable learning experience. From this experience, I will share with anyone who by chance reads this, are a few bits of advice.
1. Be wary of business partnerships. Best intentions don't equate to success. Having a partner who doesn't commit the same level of work, dedication and honesty is a recipe for hard feelings. Most won't see it right away, I know I didn't.
2. Customer Service is a lost art.
3. Dealing with clients gets easier over time. At first however, talking to prospective clients can be somewhat of a daunting task. Be honest and upfront. Under-promise and Over-deliver.
4. People will talk. Referrals are absolute "gold" in terms of getting new business. See #2 above.
5. You don't get two weeks vacation. You have to put in time. Lots of it.
6. Design for the client, not for yourself.
7. Be on time. Deliver on time or ahead of schedule if possible. Be accessible and most of all, be there for the client when they need you.